chick feed substatutes

missychicky

Songster
12 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Portland, OR
Are there any substatutes for chick feed? Something that can be made at home and works just as well? How would you make it if there is such a thing?

eggs
big_smile.png
mine love hard boiled eggs Do you just need a temporary feed or do you want a daily ration

Well I am planning on not getting any storebought chick feed becuase I won't have enough chicks to justify buying a whole bag. Can you totaly replace chick feed with mashed boiled eggs?

You can buy chick starter in as small as 5 lb. bags. You'll be surprised how fast it goes. The idea of the starter is to supply what they need since they aren't with a mom to tell them what, and what not to eat. I'd stick with the chick starter to be safe....

Well, my chicks will have a momma. I want to give them as natural food as possible so I'm just not crazy about the idea of store bought chick feed. What should I put out for the little fluffybottoms?

Im not sure, but you could try using the search here on BYC. I have seen some threads for making your own feed.
smile.png

I have used everything from rusks to oven-toasted and crushed bread to sesame seeds and desiccated coconut (or all of these mixed together). I have used these mixes for several days as I live a bit of a way from the poultry supplies store which is not open at the weekend. They seem to love and thrive on the mix.

Though chick crumb is designed for the purpose, chicks have survived for hundreds of years before such things were made.I do agree with a previous posting, though, chick crumb is available in small bags. As they are ravenous little creatures they go through a lot of food in a few days,

Sandie

Chicks can and will eat their starter for the whole time that they are growing, so you will use it up. They are growing so fast that they need a good feed during that time. I free range or tractor my chicks on grass, sometimes as soon as 4-5 days old, but they still eat a lot of food - that tells me that they must need it.

Quote:
What I said was, if you don't feed your chicks some starter feed you are doing them a major disservice.

I said mine are out on grass "eating what the grown hens eat" and they STILL eat their food and peep like crazy when it runs out. They need it.

Chickens are domesticated animals, they aren't wild.

Back
Top Bottom