Chick feed to layer feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by alexthechicken, Nov 26, 2012.

1. alexthechicken

alexthechicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    Can somebody please tell me the order of feed a chicken should have. like from a chick all the way to a laying hen/roo.

Thanks

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Chick Starter/Grower (for chicks up to when they start laying eggs -about 20 weeks old give or take)

Layer Pellets or Crumbles (after they start laying)

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Virtually every feed maker prints what is called a Feeding Chart on the back of the feed bags, or certainly, this information is available on their website. Different feed makers make slightly different products, so their feed charts vary a bit, but most follow the same basic outline.

Here is Purina's, for example. Just follow the feed chart of the feed maker you are choosing to use.

http://poultry.purinamills.com/OURPRODUCTS/FeedingChart/default.aspx

4. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I fed Purina Flock Raiser to my chicks and ducklings (it's non-medicated) and switched everyone to Layena at about 16-18 weeks which I'm pretty sure is what the bag said. Now they are trying out Omega-3 Layena. Anyone else have experience with that one just out of curiosity? This is my first time trying it. I feed mine lots of kitchen scraps too (AKA veggie and fruit trimmings)

Once in a while they get other treats like yogurt, sunflower seed meats and mealworms which they go bonkers for. They will eat pretty much anything though....my Leghorn gobbled a mouse the other day before I could get it from her and my RIR tried to eat a sparrow once. They have been known to hop up and steal pizza, french fries, chips, cheese and anything else they can get off my plate. Little stinks.

5. chickenlittle55

chickenlittle55 New Egg

Nov 26, 2012
  6. kdwag

kdwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    I did the chick starter, medicated, to starter non-medicated and recently (now 11 weeks) put them on the grower/finisher up until they are close to laying then i'll switch to layer feed. I forget the brand name of mine, I think its Ducor or Dunnor, i get it at tractor supply.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    This might help ----

Quote:
    Now with that being said a lot of people will feed a starter or a starter/ grower to there birds whole life with oyster shell on the side. I my self feed a good starter to everyone.

Chris

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  8. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I'm one of those people who feed starter/grower their whole life to my Silkies because of the higher protein content.
    I feed the layer pellets to my other laying hens.
    For both I offer free-choice oyster shell in a separate container (a small chick feeder works well for this).

Quote: I've also fed the Layena Omega-3. I never noticed any difference in either my chickens or the eggs (I used it for about 6 months). And since it costs way more than the regular feed, I switched back to the regular feed. They also eat whatever kitchen scraps they can get out of the compost pile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by