Chick feed

Foxinthehenhouse

Songster
Aug 7, 2019
Cruso, NC
I have five Marin chicks that are ready to go in with the rest of the chickens. They are still eating medicated chick starter. Is it alright if I put their feeder in the coop? I’m sure the hens will eat their feed also. I’ve had them in a cage in with the hens and there doesn’t seem to be much hostility. Their all feathered out and about as big as the hens.
The instructions on the chick food bag says feed till twelve weeks.

I have five Marin chicks that are ready to go in with the rest of the chickens. They are still eating medicated chick starter. Is it alright if I put their feeder in the coop? I’m sure the hens will eat their feed also. I’ve had them in a cage in with the hens and there doesn’t seem to be much hostility. Their all feathered out and about as big as the hens.
The instructions on the chick food bag says feed till twelve weeks.
You can switch the entire flock over to un-medicated chick starter, Flock Raiser or any complete non-layer formulation with 18-20% protein. Put out a separate container of oyster shell for the hens. You can feed this way permanently.
You will need to put out multiple feeders and water stations.
Keep the cage the chicks are in in the coop and just open the door wide enough so only they can get in and out. They will need a place to get away from the hens. It will take a long time for full integration. You will see the hens drive the chicks away from the food. When the chicks get older and start to lay they will be more accepted as equals in the flock.

You can switch the entire flock over to un-medicated chick starter, Flock Raiser or any complete non-layer formulation with 18-20% protein. Put out a separate container of oyster shell for the hens. You can feed this way permanently.
You will need to put out multiple feeders and water stations.
Keep the cage the chicks are in in the coop and just open the door wide enough so only they can get in and out. They will need a place to get away from the hens. It will take a long time for full integration. You will see the hens drive the chicks away from the food. When the chicks get older and start to lay they will be more accepted as equals in the flock.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom