Chick feed

I read corn meal was used way back in the day before chick feed was a thing.
It is extremely very low in protein 7-8% and extremely low in methonine..although it does vary from location where grown,growing conditions and variety of corn.it is calorie dense, low fat..i suspect corn meal of 100 years ago was far less processed and more nutrient dense and far more nutritous and nutrient dense snacks and garden/farmed grains were available as well

I am not sure if this is helpful or not.i found two israeli produced brands that have a starter crumble.Maybe you can call them and see where to buy it? Or the other option desertcart.com seems to be similar to american amazon and has several high quality chick starters available

https://www.agriculture-xprt.com/companies/serving-israel/?keyword=poultry+feed+mills

Zemach

and i found another but cant find it in my history now
It is extremely very low in protein 7-8% and extremely low in methonine..although it does vary from location where grown,growing conditions and variety of corn.it is calorie dense, low fat..i suspect corn meal of 100 years ago was far less processed and more nutrient dense and far more nutritous and nutrient dense snacks and garden/farmed grains were available as well

It's not usually quite that simple.

If the hen is sitting on the eggs, and the chicks hatch, they can live with her outside.
But if the chicks hatch in an incubator, and you try to put them with a hen that has not been broody, the hen will either ignore them (so they die of neglect) or kill them (she might think they are food, or she might think they are intruders and try to drive them away).

Chicks that are living with a mother outdoors will eat whatever the hen finds for them to eat. In some places, that is enough for them to grow and be healthy. But more often, there is not enough stuff available for them to eat. If there is not enough food, they may starve and die, or they may stay alive but grow slowly and not be healthy.

Providing chick food is usually a very good idea.

In the first post, you said you can get "pullet starter" feed. That is probably a good choice for feeding chicks. A food labeled "starter" is usually meant for chicks to eat from the very first (when they "start" eating). If the label has feeding instructions, you can see whether it mentions what age it is meant for.
It’s for pullets ages 3-5 months. That’s what the feed say. In my country that’s what most people feed to mix flocks.

I am not sure if this is helpful or not.i found two israeli produced brands that have a starter crumble.Maybe you can call them and see where to buy it? Or the other option desertcart.com seems to be similar to american amazon and has several high quality chick starters available

https://www.agriculture-xprt.com/companies/serving-israel/?keyword=poultry+feed+mills

Zemach

and i found another but cant find it in my history now
They sell the feed by tons to the distributors and commercial flocks.
The smallest amount one can order is 500 kg which is 50 times the amount I need.

I found a place that delivered to my village and they sell 1 kg for 5 euro! Is it supposed to be that expensive? Maybe there’s some kind of shortage? My feed costs about 25 euro for 25 kg

It’s for pullets ages 3-5 months. That’s what the feed say. In my country that’s what most people feed to mix flocks.
will mixing the meat bird and pullet starter result in something sufficient?

Do you know how much protein is in the foods? And how much calcium?
I think those are the two nutrients that are most likely to cause trouble if they are wrong.

I found a place that delivered to my village and they sell 1 kg for 5 euro! Is it supposed to be that expensive? Maybe there’s some kind of shortage? My feed costs about 25 euro for 25 kg
I'm in the USA, but I notice a similar pattern for small bags of feed.

Feed in small bags will cost twice as much per kilogram, or even more, as compared with the same feed in big bags. Feed that has anything special about it (like being organic or soy-free) costs even more. Small bags of special feed are a really bad deal compared with big bags of basic feed.

Do you know how much protein is in the foods? And how much calcium?
I think those are the two nutrients that are most likely to cause trouble if they are wrong.
Pullet calcium is 2.5%
Meat bird calcium is 2%

Pullet protein is 17%
Meat bird protein is 21%

The size of the chick feed bag is 20kg and I made my calculations of how much it is per kg.

Pullet calcium is 2.5%
Meat bird calcium is 2%

Pullet protein is 17%
Meat bird protein is 21%
For feeding chicks, I would probably just buy a bag of the meat bird feed.

The higher protein would be better for them, and the calcium is closer to the correct amount also.

The size of the chick feed bag is 20kg and I made my calculations of how much it is per kg.
Oh, I had misunderstood. That's definitely not a case of a small bag being overpriced just for being small.

For feeding chicks, I would probably just buy a bag of the meat bird feed.

The higher protein would be better for them, and the calcium is closer to the correct amount also.

Oh, I had misunderstood. That's definitely not a case of a small bag being overpriced just for being small.
Thanks mate!

Back
Top Bottom