chick feed

delfargo

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
some corn field in central il.
i'll be ordering my chicks soon, so i stopped by the local "tractor supply" store to check out what they had for chick feed. they carry a 20% protien "starter/grower" from "dumore". the package says it can be the sole ration for chicks up to 10 weeks. they also sell medicated chick crumbles by "manna pro" that claims you can use as the sole ration for chicks up to 8 weeks. anyone use these products? was wondering if you could mix them or would it be better to just go with the medicated crumbles for 8 weeks then switch to the "starter/grower" after that? sorry if this is a stupid question. but, you know... i'm new at this, still learning. thanx for the advice.

I got my chicks from a NPIP certified breeder here in my area of TN when they were 3 days old. He said to use the non medicated chick starter feed. I bought a bag of the Dumore chick feed and took it with me when I picked them up. I asked if that brand was ok and he said most of the commercial feeds are all alike, that it all comes from the same place. It is bought by different companies and sacked up in their bags, but it is basically all the same stuff. I am sure there are some things that are different, like the medicated feed, but chick starter is the same no matter what name is on the bag. Now...I don't know this to be true, but that is what I was told by a professional.
I don't think I would use the medicated feed unless it was recommended by the person I bought the chicks from. Are yours coming by mail, or are you picking them up from a local breeder? I wouldn't want to have to go through the mail, but not everyone is lucky enough to have NPIP certified breeders close to them. Good luck with your new birds!

I've used both and have had no problems with either. I think that I use the dumor from tractor supply the most just because I got a good deal on it. Mostly it comes down to if you wan the feed medicated or not. I can't tell a difference in the chicks feed one or the other. The important part is the protein count. High protein for growing chicks.

I have heard that it only prevents one thing, so I wont feed it to my birds if I can help it. I hate giving meds when they are not needed.

Back
Top Bottom