"chick" feeder to "chicken" feeder, When? Favorite Feeder?

Midwest Lizabeth

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
Chicks born June 14 & June 25--We're stilling feeding them in the "chick" feeders (two of the red plastic/one of the long metal). When do you normally transition to the "big" chicken adult-type feeders? Or, maybe a better question would be when do you take the little chick feeders away from your flock of chickens?
Do you have a favorite store bought adult chicken feeder? (We've been looking at the homemade feeders & there's some really neat ideas.) We bought one hanging white plastic feeder that is supposed to gravity feed with the little dividers in it, but it doesn't work with the crumbles too well. . .you have to turn it and shake it to get the crumbles down where the chickens can eat them--it's annoying. We liked the idea of a hanging feeder to keep the junk out of their food. Looking for suggestions on quality feeder or feeders that actually work well with ease of flow of the food, capacity to hold several days of food for 25 chickens (med to large sized), where the chickens can't trash the food with junk (dirt, shavings, chicken poo).
Thanks for your words of wisdom!

Just a good old fashioned hanging galvanized metal feeder is what we always end up going back to..... Have issues with sparrows so tried treadle feeders and loved them because the sparrows couldn't work them, but they were on the ground and crickets and other insects invaded in hoards and rodents became an issue as well so we are now back to the hanging galvanized feeder.

Stays dry and less pests even with sparrows, but a few hanging CDs spinning in the wind lessens their presence allot.

We started using a hanging adult feeder when we got the chicks at the age of 2 1/2 week. We just raised the level as they grew. There has never been any problem. May the flock be with you.

We'll get a couple of galvanized metal metal feeders. We bought one of the galvanized double walled waterers and plan to use it this winter with the heated base. The good old fashioned equipment does seem to work well.

I guess I knew I needed to get the adult feeders since one of the roos is already starting to crow. I should have gotten them the feeders sooner, but I wanted to see if we could raise them up before spending more money.

Thank you all very much!

Back
Top Bottom