Chick finisher

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Alwayswantchics, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Alwayswantchics

Alwayswantchics Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Phelan, CA
    Can someone give me opinion on finisher. I have 2 chicks that I want to process soon.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I usually switch to a 15% finisher available from a couple sources here. I get mine from a wholesaler but TSC sells it in their Dumor brand.

If you can't get that, you can feed half 18% grower and the rest corn/oats/wheat. Corn is under 10% protein, oats about 11 and wheat between 11 and 15%.

Another option for the last 2 weeks is to just give ground grains with milk for protein/fat and flavor.

3. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    Mine get Broiler Mash 19% start to finish. Since chickens don't have fat marbling, I'm not sure what a "finisher" is supposed to do?

4. buckbye

buckbye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    NWCT
    Would love to know the answer to this as well...

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A finisher just slows growth and gives a more appropriate protein level for the age. Excess protein (beyond needs) is processed by the liver and is a waste. Depending on source, protein is one of the more expensive ingredients in feed so feeding more than they need is a waste of money.

6. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    What is the appropriate age? 3 weeks, 6 weeks or @ 7 weeks? Providing a myriad of foods for a bird that wont see its 9th week birthday seems abit much. IMHO

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It depends on if you're feeding future layers (whether they're egg hybrids or heritage breeds) or meat birds (and whether they're CornishX or slower growers) and with some management goals whether they're cockerels or pullets.

For meaties, some recommend going to a finisher a couple weeks prior to processing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by