Chick Gasping-Gorged on Feed -Experts, How to Remove Feed From Throat

OMWord! I have never heard of that! Keep us updated!

P.S. I am selfishly telling everyone I have a pip
roll.png

Well, its never happened to me with any batch of chicks I've ever had so I sure wasn't prepared for it. And it wasn't feed in the crop, it was in the throat and suffocating them. Strangest thing I've encountered yet. Next thing they're getting is yogurt with a few drops of olive oil in it and no more feed for a couple of hours at least. It was two Barred Rock cockerels and one pullet. I may not keep the cockerels, but I sure don't want them to die like that, geez.

...frantically searching here (all I know is when there is a true obstruction, that may require surgery, that the vet will do a procedure which allows the bird to breath from one of the alternative airsacs):
http://burgebirdservices.homestead.com/er_breath.html
(Julie burge-DVM)
"Choking on Food:

Unfortunately, many small birds can easily choke on the seeds they eat which are about the same size as their trachea or windpipe. Larger birds may get a piece of nut or other food caught in the throat. Do not attempt to do any sort of rescue method like a Heimlich manuever if the bird is able to breathe at least a little. Get emergency help from an experienced veterinarian. Do not stress the bird by holding it if it is not wanting attention. Leave it sitting in the cage while you locate help, and transport it as calmly as possble. If the bird chokes and cannot breathe at all, you can try hoding it upside down and pumping on the chest, but it is likely that there will be no way to save it."

http://216.109.125.130/search/cache...+throat+throats&d=faIm13DuP_BR&icp=1&.intl=us

http://www.wingwise.com/cpr.htm
BIRD CPR (illustrated with photos...however this does assume a clear airway)

Whew! Glad you got it taken care of safely! Good job!!!

The saying that I learned on here sure applies, "If there is any way for a chicken to hurt itself, it WILL!"

They seem okay still. I just checked on the little heathens and they're chirping like they're all starving! Got a little plain yogurt with a few drops of olive oils stirred in, took it down and they dove on it like vultures. I keep feed down 24/7 so I've just never seen chicks act like this. Well, tomorrow afternoon, after the new owner clears out my nursery coop of all but three older chicks, Hawkeye is moving in with them; the broody pen, which is about 5x3 will become the new brooder. I'll just switch the heatlamps to that side and they'll get the big feeder and waterer and should have room to run and spar and go nuts. What a crazy morning!

We had this exact problem!! We put several drops of water down their thoats and used blunt side of the tweezers to get the globs of stuck food out. This only happened once and it happened to 4 or 5 at the same time, so not sure what caused it. Hope they are doing okay. Suz

You see it all the time with meat birds if you dont take away their feed, but I just think they cleaned out the feeder and when they saw food again, they were each trying to keep it away from the next one, filled the crop and kept on eating anyway.
Are you feeling better, Suz? Got a PM from Jess-she seems very happy with her little b'day gift we managed to get for her. I'm glad!

Back
Top Bottom