Chick Gasping-Gorged on Feed -Experts, How to Remove Feed From Throat

Cyn, I'm no expert, but I see no one has helped you. Is there anyway you could get an eye dropper or med dropper and try to suck it out without lodging in throat. It might be a long shot but I would try.

Umm i know how to fix that in dogs, but Do chickens throw up?
if you put peroxide down a dogs throat the bubbles will induce vomiting.
SOrry if that doesnt help.

Ok, got three of those on the mend. DH massaged throats and crops after using syringe to put olive oil in their throats. One's throat looked twice as big as it should have been. Thought I'd lose him for sure.
What happened was that overnight, they ate all their feed-they're getting too large for 20 chicks and the size feeder, I guess, but they've never eaten that much before so I thought they had plenty. Almost the entire feeder was full when I went to bed. When I refilled it, they all started gorging-it was a madhouse! When I thought, hey, I'd better take this feed away before something bad happens, it was slightly too late and three were gasping for air. Thank goodness I didn't fill it and leave! So, they seem to be breathing okay now, but just very tired. Whew! Tomorrow afternoon, or when the rest of the chicks are gone to their new home, the nursery will be cleaned out and they move to larger quarters with larger feeder and waterer.

Whoa. Who knew THAT could happen???? This whole raising-chickens thing sure is a roller-coaster, isn't it! I've got one in a crate in my office right now, whining at me all day long to let her out. Grrr. I thought it was supposed to be easy and fun and de-stressing???? (Well, it IS, most of the time)

Anyway, thanks for sharing this so we can all learn from it, and I am SO GLAD your babies are all OK!!

Stacey

Wow...I didn't see this til too late...but you did good in the massaging and olive oil thing.....

Makes me think I should put a bigger feeder in my one brooder....kind of the same kind deal...the chicks are getting to big for the feeder and space. Every morning the feeder is empty and it's a mad rush.....Tonight all but a couple of the little roos are going to the poultry aucton so that will help the numbers issue. Glad they look like they're doing better!

Back
Top Bottom