2 week old chick labored breathing, gasping, lethargy

Pics
They are enjoying some explore time as I clean their brooder! (My room is constantly kept free from any dangers including possible foreign bodies they can swallow)
They look happy. ❤️ Azula looks very good! It’s great to see that in the photos. I’m glad she has recovered. Such pretty little chicks. You’ve done an amazing job with her recovery. ☺️

They look happy. ❤️ Azula looks very good! It’s great to see that in the photos. I’m glad she has recovered. Such pretty little chicks. You’ve done an amazing job with her recovery. ☺️
I do plan to move their updates onto a different post. I will tag you guys once I make it!

Just found a two week old chick at a local feed store laying near the water dish constantly gasping and labored, not moving except for short bursts of chirping/ movement.
Was lifting head to choke but stopped once home with me and getting now two feedings of electrolyte water. Holding her to keep warm using my body and a heating pad on low (monitored of course!!) and to feel her breathing. No idea of weight at the moment but she looks like a normal weight for her age.
I will be using mush for her next feeding, feeding it every two hours or so.
Just now she pooped for me. I'll put image of poop below. It is pure liquid.
She's also moving more as I write this!
She also has a full crop of electrolyte water as she is drinking like a little champ with syringe

Any other tips?
I suspect brooder pneumonia. Hoping intensive care will get her past it. If not I gave her a fighting chance and that's important to me. I had originally left because I wasn't set up for chicks but couldn't stop thinking about her and how she would die being trampled by her siblings, in a livestock tub. If she doesn't make it, at least she knew soft blankets and as cheesy as it sounds, love. If she does make it overnight and drastically improves, well, I'll go get her two siblings tomorrow morning. If she makes it overnight but still is ICU I will keep fighting for her life with her until she is ready to have her siblings again. I can tell she really wants to live

First of all, thank you for bringing this baby home. Second, it is not an uncommon practice for babies to be shipped from hatcheries with no food or water in the box. Many of them do not survive the transport. It is very common for the ones who do to be weak and lethargic. I am guessing some electrolytes will help this baby out. How is it doing?

First of all, thank you for bringing this baby home. Second, it is not an uncommon practice for babies to be shipped from hatcheries with no food or water in the box. Many of them do not survive the transport. It is very common for the ones who do to be weak and lethargic. I am guessing some electrolytes will help this baby out. How is it doing?
Hi! She's completely well now! And no this was not the case as she had been there for a week at the feed store. And she did have phlem

Back
Top Bottom