Chick getting pecked on!

dizzle's chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 16, 2011
I currently have three chicks (Delaware, Blue Wyanndotte, Black Sex Link) born on 9/3 and the Blue wyanndotte is pecking at the butt of the Delaware chick to a point where her butt has no more feathers and it's starting to get really red. I separated her (Delaware) from the other two. Should i put some medicine (cream) on her butt and what can i feed to get her feathers to grow back quickly? thanks

yes, I would do that also...pretty much anything will help her, and keep them separate till it heals, then keep an eye...

odd that that would happen....

They may not have enough space. Mine did this as well, but stopped when I moved them to larger quarters. Also I used Blu-Kote for the area which both cleaned it up and camoed the "different" spot from the assualters.

You can also try adding things for them to "play" with lettus leaves, put bird seed in the bedding, sticks to climb on, etc.

There is a product called Corona - not the beer- that is a great ointment for all animals. I have used it on chicks. If you mix a little ground red pepper in the ointment, it will not taste good to the other chicks. When I started reading your post I thought it would be the Wyandotte getting picked on, those have been my most docile breeds. Hope everything settles down.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom