Chick got flipped...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by howfunkyisurchicken, Jan 27, 2015.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I came home from work tonight to find one of my Sizzles laying in an odd position. It was sort of on its back, rolled onto to its side a little with its legs stretched out behind it, if that makes sense. I thought it was dead, but when I picked it up to remove it from the brooder, it peeped at me. I dipped its beak in the drinker and have placed it in a measuring cup lined with a paper towel to keep its feet underneath it and placed it near the edge of the heat lamp (when placed upright it just rolls back over to its back/side, it also doesn't seem to be able to hold its wings right, I think it had been stuck for a while).
    I have no idea what happened here. It was running around with the others when I checked on them before leaving for work. Also, this isn't a wobbly new chick thing either. These chicks are 10 days old and have been fine until this (the other 6 are still fine).

Is there anything else I should be doing for it, has anyone ever had this happen and their chick pull through? It seems pretty weak at this point, so I sprinkled a little chick starter in its cup, which it pecked at a little. I feel so bad for the little fluffy butt. If anyone had checked the brooder while I was gone and set it to rights, I feel like it wouldn't be struggling right now :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by