Chick got her neck caught in the door!

svitlaangel

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2016
Our 1 week old chick got her neck caught in the sliding doors. She went floppy for about ten seconds, we thought she was dead, but then opened her eyes and was tweeting a little. About half an hour later she is moving a bit, and an hour later she's walking and drinking. She is drinking A LOT. At the moment she seems to be all better, (6 hours later) but I'm still worried about some things.
Firstly she's drinking sooooo much. Secondly, she's trying to eat but when she pecks, she pecks short. She'll reach for it and peck about a centimetre away from the food. She occasionally grabs it though, so she's managed to fill her crop.
She's preening well, and trying to dig but another thing is when she runs to us she only flaps one wing.
I'd just like to know if anyone thinks these things will improve or what the cause of them are. Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to BYC It seems that she has mad a great improvement already. She could have broken a wing, but just keep an eye on it. One big thing to look for is any air collecting under her skin around the neck from a leaking air sac due to the trauma. The crop which stores the food and water she drinks is on her right upper chest under her neck, and it will always have some food in it while she is eating.

Welcome to BYC It seems that she has mad a great improvement already. She could have broken a wing, but just keep an eye on it. One big thing to look for is any air collecting under her skin around the neck from a leaking air sac due to the trauma. The crop which stores the food and water she drinks is on her right upper chest under her neck, and it will always have some food in it while she is eating.

:) her neck seems good! This morning she's been getting better at pecking the food and not missing but there's one more thing I'm a bit worried about :/ most of the time both of her eyes are open and they look fine, but she's closing her right eye a lot. I don't know if it has anything to do with the injury but I was wondering if that could have anything to do with the pecking at the air.

That is good to hear. If she continues to close the eye, just have a look for swelling, redness, or something in the eye. A lubricant eye drop might help. If there is drainage or an injury, Terramycin eye ointment would be better.

Okay thank you :D
Her eye looks a little watery at the moment so we've asked about a good eye drop and we're trying that.

Vetericyn eye gel is also good for the eye to prevent infection. Both Terramycin eye ointment and Vetericyn are found at feed stores, but you have to ask a clerk for them usually.

Help! It's been about a week and although I checked at he time for air sacs and found none, I picked her up today and there is a huge bubble D:
Is it serious? What can I do? She seems fine in herself but I'm really worried now.

Back
Top Bottom