Chick Grit--probiotics?

andersal

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2020
Hello. I'm trying to figure out if I should get the chick grit with probiotics or regular chick grit? Any ideas on the benefits/drawbacks of each type? Thanks so much!

I'm trying to figure out if I should get the chick grit with probiotics or regular chick grit?
I've used both. My first Flock I used Purina Chick Grit and my second Flock I used DuMOR Chick Grit with Probiotics.
Probiotics are good.
I would buy whichever one is available, because the Chick Starter I use have Probiotics too.
But I would prefer with. GC

To me it appears to be a good marketing ploy, creating a demand for something there was no demand for. Brilliant. Many people buy probiotic packets to mix with their water.

As you probably know chickens use grit in their gizzard to grind up anything that needs to be ground up. Chick grit is sized for young chicks, regular grit for more mature chickens. Grit is generally granite, a waste product from granite quarries. Regular chick feed, even crumble, is already ground so they don't need grit for that, but hey should have grit for most treats.

I never buy grit as I give mine dirt from the run while they are on the brooder. They get grit from that. One of the first things my broody hens do is take them to a patch of ground where they can get grit. If you want them to have grit, just take them outside and let them peck at the ground. Or gather dirt or sand and give that to them. Or you can buy grit.

I don't feed mine any probiotics other than the dirt from the run where the adults are. By feeding mine that dirt they get grit, any probiotics the adults have to share, and it starts them strengthening their immune system and developing the flock immunities they might need.

Getting the grit with probiotics won't hurt them. I don't think there is any risk feeding that to them, even if you are also giving them pribiotics in their water or some other way. How much will it help them, if at all? I don't know. There is a huge probiotics industry out there for humans and many people are absolutely convinced it is hugely beneficial to them. I personally don't take any probiotic supplements for myself except I eat some yogurt after I've finished a round of antibiotics.

On the other hand, animals pass pribiotics on to their young. With chickens, it's from the chicks pecking where the adults pooped. As baby elephants are switching from depending on their mother's milk to eating vegetation they eat some of their mother's poop to get the right microbes in their systems so they can digest that vegetation. There are other examples.

I do not consider feeding probiotics to chicks as necessary, my first chicks did fine without them and with no adults around to get any from. Many people on this forum believe they are highly beneficial. It's one of those things that I personally don't see a lot of benefit in buying that product, but if you are willing to spend the money, it will not hurt.

I read that grit is only if chicks are being fed treats. Then I read that chicks should not be fed treats, which I don't, especially at 3 weeks age. However, I did put them on the lawn in a cage to get them into the sun. They weren't greatly excited, but I felt that the grass was a form of treat. I read that at that young age, fine sand is a good form of grit. I sifted some into a shallow bowl from our pile. They loved it! But it seemed that loose poop started again in one chick, and they all started itching themselves, like a dog. I decided not to put them outside again.

Back
Top Bottom