1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick grit question...they are devouring it!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by larsonll, Sep 17, 2011.

1. larsonll

larsonll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    West Georgia
    I've just moved my ten 6 week old chicks to the coop, and for the first time, and offering chick grit in a separate container. It only contains about 1/2 cup, but they eat it all within 2-3 days, and attack it when I replenish it as if it is a treat.

In the brooder, I mixed the grit in with the feed.

The coop is a tractor ark that is moved daily to new grass, so I know they are getting grit that way too.

Should i be concerned that they eat this much grit? They are healthy, growing and thriving. They eat their regular chick starter just fine.

2. flockof4

flockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    In my two years of taking care of chickens, they seem to be self regulating. So if they are healthy and happy, I wouldn't worry about it. They must need the extra grit.

3. FiFiFeather

FiFiFeather Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    North Washtenaw County
    My little flock did the same thing when I first gave them grit. I hoped nothing was wrong with them & *meant* to look into it but my ADD self forgot (insert embarrassed emoticon here). The are now 6 months old and very healthy. They don't go for the grit like they used to, so I think they are self-regulating too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by