Chick grit

i've heard giving chicks a chunk of soil while they're in the brooder helps develop their gut flora and immune system. a chunk of soil from where they're eventually going to be outside. there is a bit of sand/grit in it as well.

i've heard giving chicks a chunk of soil while they're in the brooder helps develop their gut flora and immune system. a chunk of soil from where they're eventually going to be outside. there is a bit of sand/grit in it as well.
Well that's a bit of a hoax.
They will be fine without that because anything you touch they are exposed too.

Not a hoax as far as exposure to some environmental organisms.
Especially true if the chunk of sod is from near where any existing chickens are.
But sand is not grit.

Regarding grit. Yes, we provide to chicks. Not in first week bc we want them to know what is their food, and eat crumbles and drink water well. Then we put a small container of chick grit into their brooder. When a momma hen raises them, she clucks to them to tell them to try it out. When they are not raised by a momma hen, they follow the lead of the chick that tries it out first. We also provide some regular grit in our large run to the flock of chickens.

Back
Top Bottom