Chick grit

Here is the size of the Manna Pro Poultry Grit 25 lb bag I got at TSC.

Thank you for that photo. It looks like this is a 1/8" granite. I could buy 1/8" granite by the ton from a local rocker. It is the slightly smaller stone that is 1/16" to 3/32" that is extremely hard to find.

At a rocker, you will find crushed granite products that are 1/8" screened (the fines are removed). Alternately, you will find 1/4" with all the fines included. You could filter out the fines with a 1/16" sieve, but for hundreds of pounds that I need that is too time-consuming.

we put a little chick grit with our chicks separate for their food and they would hardly touch it, they would just knock it down, in the wild they may need grit at an early age because their food isn't in crumbles. We still gave them the chick grit but like I said they didn't really touch it ( I just found this online but have seen other sites say the same thing⤵ are your chicks outside?

What I have read is that if the chicks are foraging, they do not need supplemental grit. But if you start to give them treats, that is when you need to mix grit in with the treats so they get what they need to digest those treats along with the treats.

Back
Top Bottom