Chick grit

Gallinarium

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
America
Hi, wondering if I put adult grit in with the chicks, if they'll stick with the little chick-grit-size pieces, or if they'll try to eat the big ones and kill themselves.
They're supervised by a hen, in case that makes a difference.

If you have a Colander with holes, use it to sift out the bigger bits. That's how @aart does it. GC
Yup, that's what I did.
http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf.

I bought about a 2 gallon bag of granite grit from the local mill, they put it in their chicken scratch. Ran it thru a colander with 1/16" holes. Bagged the smaller stuff for the chicks and sprinkle some over a chunk of sod in the brooder during the second week.

What is the cheapest mail-order source for chick grit that anyone has located? I found a 25-pound bag from McMurray Hatchery online, but with shipping to California, I am paying nearly $60. I need to find a manufacturer that is closer to California.
I know tractor supply has a 25 pound bag of poultry grit for $8 which is what we get, I think you can ship it to your house, or if you have a tractor supply close you could pick it up

I know tractor supply has a 25 pound bag of poultry grit for $8 which is what we get, I think you can ship it to your house, or if you have a tractor supply close you could pick it up

If you are referring to the Manna Pro grit at Tractor Supply, that is larger grit for adults. "Chick Grit" is 1/16" to 3/32" so quite tiny. See this image.

screen-shot-2020-06-22-at-6-20-16-am-png.2206463

Back
Top Bottom