Chick grit?

diana507

Chirping
Apr 9, 2015
Central Maine
My 8 week old chicks are going to be headed to the coop hopefully this weekend it should be done. They are on starter grower feed from TSC. How much chick grit do I add to their food so I can start giving them treats and them eating bugs?

I sprinkle a little out on their bedding so they can scratch for it. I start giving them grit between 1 and 2 weeks old when I start giving them treats and taking them on outings. Have they had anything other to eat up until now, or gone outside at all?

No they haven't had anything other then a "baby cake" (one of those blocks they peck at), just one though in slow moderation. They haven't been outside. I live on a busy street that people drive so fast on and have nothing to put them in to do so. I had read not to give them treats till a certain age then now I am reading of all sorts of things they are giving their young chicks.. :( I think I have them sheltered... haha

Last edited:
I have been working non stop when i can to get my coop built and their run. They are running out of space so quick in their brooder..... So should I just throw some in their sawdust? What's good to start out with for treats?

I have been working non stop when i can to get my coop built and their run. They are running out of space so quick in their brooder..... So should I just throw some in their sawdust? What's good to start out with for treats?
At 8 r 9 weeks they can have small amounts of treats. Be sure to put a small shallow dish of chick grit out for them free choice. That way they can get it if they need it. It is amazing how they seem to know what to do.

I also just have a small dish of chick grit in their pen. Mine have been outdoors for playtime since 3 weeks old and out in the coop for almost 2 weeks now. Mine are also 8 weeks old. They have a dirt bowl/bath too which they use a lot! :) So cute watching them fluff away in the dirt. They outdoor playpen is a 4' x 4' dog pen covered with netting.

Back
Top Bottom