Chick has blood in poop. Need any advice! Is this Coccidia or intestine shedding?

NewChickenDadUSA

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I am back again with another question. I really do not want to lose another chick. One of the chick seems to be excreting blood in her poop. I am not sure if this intestine shedding I read about or Coccidia. I am leaning towards Coccidia but she was only born couple days ago. She also has a small dried blood part by her navel region. Everything there seems to be dried blood, but I maybe wrong. I am wondering if the blood might have came from there and as she pooped, she might have mixed it?

I just ordered some Merial 150197 Corid 9.6% Oral Solution for Calves Yellow, 16 oz for her and everyone else.

She seems healthy except she also has splayed legs, so I have been feeding her some cooked yolk mixed with water through a syringe (with no needle). She drinks a lot of water and seems to be eating a decent amount when I feed her. She still has a hard time standing up even with the vet wrap I did on her two legs.

Any Advice is welcome since I am very new to this and I really do not want to lose another chick.

Attachments

• Chick7.jpg
    Chick7.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Chick6.jpg
    Chick6.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Chick5.jpg
    Chick5.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Chick4.jpg
    Chick4.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Chick3.jpg
    Chick3.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Chick2.jpg
    Chick2.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 14
That is right, the navel region seems swollen and reddish.

I been putting polysporin on the navel region. Should I be doing something else or stop putting polysporin there?

What happened to the other chick, why did it die?

The chick that passed had an unabsorbed egg sac. I received the chick too late. I was giving it some sugar water and it passed away.

The chick that passed had an unabsorbed egg sac. I received the chick too late. I was giving it some sugar water and it passed away.

There seems to have been the same trouble with the one you are treating now for splayed legs etc.

Where did you get them from? The incubator setup/temperature must have been somewhat wrong.

You might want to disinfect the swollen navel region and apply some antibiotic ointment three times a day. Hopefully she survives.

Back
Top Bottom