Chick has blood sac.. will it die?

Wren96392

In the Brooder
May 28, 2017
one of my chicks was struggling to hatch and so when it finally did I expected it to be tired.. but it also has a sac attached to its butt and is barely moving and rarely cheeping .. but breathing. I am worried it isn't going to make it because there is blood in its egg and the sac and it is also on the incubator floor where the baby is laying. When another chick in the bator steps on it all it does is cheep and squirm a little but doesn't move (given it is laying next to a warm and damp towel and is attached to its egg still (kinda))

Is there anything I can do to help it?

I would put it in a little warm cup or something in the bator for now just so it doesn't get stepped on. However, This is just a little tip and I hope someone who knows more comes along to help you.

I would put it in a little warm cup or something in the bator for now just so it doesn't get stepped on. However, This is just a little tip and I hope someone who knows more comes along to help you.

so take something and put the chick .. and the shell into it? because it is still kinda attached to its shell -- the sac isn't huge so I hope it will be okay

I took the chick and it's shell and put it (them?) into a box with a warm damp towel and then put the little box into the incubator -- other chicks seem jealous but can't get into the box (so far) -- the chick is cheeping a little more and moved into the corner of his/her little box and fell asleep ... any other ideas?

How is the chick now?

Just checked her again .. still a bit of blood trailing her .. but not a sac. She is cheeping and was laying on her leg weird so I quick moved her body so she didn't injure herself and so she squirmed and then fell asleep .. it is really humid where she is.. should I take out the damp towel and put in a dry one?

If the sac seems absorbed, i would remove the towel and maybe place a very slightly damp one near the chick, as you said there's still some blood. I really wish someone with a little more experience than i have would come and leave their opinion. I have had this happen to me before, though. When the chick livens up i would think about placing it with the other chicks and see how it does. I don't know if the heat can get in that box properly, so I think as soon as she is livened up, you should take her out of the box and see how she does with the rest of the chicks.

so I should put a less damp towel with her (I wish more people would help as well but you are being very helpful already so thanks for that)

Back
Top Bottom