Chick has crusty eye, what could the problem be?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pumpkinpup, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have one silver marans chick who has been a bit lathargic the past few days and today she has a crusty looking eye. Only one eye is effected and she eats and drinks normal. I have her on medicated chick starter and clean water with a bit of vitamin and electrolite in it. She is on clean pine shavings bedding just as all my chicks have always been. Nothing is defferent from anything I have ever done in the past. I have isolated her in a box to herself now and she has a lamp with a red 40 watt bulb to warm her. Any suggestions would be great. I've never encountered anything like this in all the years I have had chickens and all my other chicks from this hatch are fine so am completely stumped [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    My grandmother always used a solution of boric acid and warm tap water to treat crusty eyes(1 Tbsp to 8 fl oz water, apply with a Q tip) I have used this method for years with great results.

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    There are a lot of viruses that can cause mild respiratory signs and/or conjunctivitis. If it's a mild form of the virus and doesn't get complicated by a bacterial infection, the chick should recover on its own. Just be careful b/c recovered birds can be carriers and transmit the virus to other members of the flock (depending on what it is).

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    I just went through this with a barred rock pullett. Same eye, same crusty look. I cleaned it up with warm water...and put them all on Sulmet. She is alot better now. Hope your gets better soon.

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    What is Sulmet, justusnak? I have never heard of that before. Can I get it at a feed store?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by