Chick has funky foot. What should I do? *pic*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CheekyMare, Nov 23, 2011.

1. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm unsure whether I should just be tough and cull it or if I should see if it straightens out. I taped it last night with bandage tap and when I took it off this morning it looked like this. (much better last night it was curld sideways and walking on the side) Will it straighten out from bearing weight or should I tape again?

[​IMG]

2. JenniferNgo

JenniferNgo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Texas
    Does it change the way the chick walks? Is it unable to take care of itself?

I would say if it can't handle itself in the flock (ie: eat, drink, run, play etc) and it doesn't straighten out in a couple of days, then yes

But if it manages just fine, this is just a cosmetic type of thing, why waste a life that could otherwise be very fulfilling? I see 3 legged dogs and birds that can't fly, but that doesn't mean they should be taken out. Just don't use for breeding as it may be genetic.

Best of luck to you!

3. I have a 5month old rooster hoes leg is licke that hes a lot smaller than the other roosters but he manages just fine and he doesnt get picked on at all.

4. CheekyMare

Well I'm hatching to make layers for my restaurant, so if it's a hen and can lay I won't care. If it's a roo...then it just needs to get around in the flock till tamale time. Regardless of sex I would like it to have good quality of life for as long as it lives. Yesterday it was having trouble walking but is getting around better today. I think taping the foot in a semi normal position overnight did help. Just wasn't sure if untaping would undo what I did.

5. naillikwj82

naillikwj82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    If the toes will not be able to bear wieght it will fail to thrive. We had a similar trouble and made a cardboard shoe. It took several attempts to get the correct cut-out but eventually we managed it. We left it on the chick for four days and then removed it using olive oil. Chick is now 4 weeks and doing fine. The web site below is one reference but I'm sure BYC search will show others.

www.avianaquamiser.com/posts/Chick_curled_toe/

6. JenniferNgo

JenniferNgo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Texas
    Yeah, I would say splint it up with a band-aid for a couple of days and see how it does. Couldn't hurt right?

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Is it the black chick? Is that a silkie? A friend of mine taped a dime to the bottom of her chick's foot with a bantaid to hold it in place, and it did form correctly....Not perfect, but alot better.

8. CheekyMare

Not Silkie, but there's Silkie in there. A dime. That's a good idea.

[​IMG]

Fast little bugger. Just the little bit of straightening I did made a big difference.

That's him on his own...

[​IMG]

and in.3 seconds he was here

[​IMG]

I like him.

<---------------Sucker

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by