Chick has had ruffled feathers

dudepuppet12

Hatching
Apr 1, 2021
Hi, I'm a new chicken keeper, and I'm keeping 6 chickens: 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Australorps, and 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes. They're about 3 weeks old and I've noticed that one of the Rhode Island Reds has had slightly ruffled feathers over the past 3 days and is slightly less active. I don't think its coccidiosis, so what do you think I should do about it? I'm attaching a picture here.

IMG_0332.jpg

Hi, I'm a new chicken keeper, and I'm keeping 6 chickens: 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Australorps, and 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes. They're about 3 weeks old and I've noticed that one of the Rhode Island Reds has had slightly ruffled feathers over the past 3 days and is slightly less active. I don't think its coccidiosis, so what do you think I should do about it? I'm attaching a picture here.

View attachment 2595566
Welcome To BYC

I would treat for Coccidiosis.
You can find Corid in the cattle section of TSC.
Liquid Corid dosage is 2tsp per gallon of water and Powdered Corid dosage is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. Don't add anything else to the water except for the Corid.

I would also check to make sure the crop is emptying overnight.

Back
Top Bottom