Gender on chicks

JessicaPoff

Chirping
Mar 5, 2021
I have 4 rhode island blues (3 weeks old)
4 barnevelders (3 weeks old)
4 buff orpingtons, (going on 2 weeks old)
1 olive egger and (2 weeks)
1 silver laced wyandotte (2 weeks)

At what point can I tell if we have any roosters. I am not good at judging this but is there something I can look for by their wings or temperament.

I do believe one of my RIBs is a roo. Due to the way he (assume) is acting compared to all the rest. I definitely think he is different. But I was guaranteed a 98% all females.

Any advice besides waiting for their vocal cords?

Cockerel traits;
roosters will size each other up and raise neck/hackles at each other, however pullets can do this as well.
Comb and wattles will be redder at a younger age.
Legs and feet will typically be thicker/stockier.
Will start to grow longer tail feathers and long saddle feathers will appear.
You will see some mating behavior at a few months old.

Pullet traits;
They will grow in feathers more quickly than males.
Wattles/comb will get red at a later age.
Their legs and feet are typically small, however some breeds have stocky legs.
Saddle/back feathers are round and not long.

Hope this helps!!

Any advice besides waiting for their vocal cords?

Watch for red combs and wattles. Many males become very obvious sometime between about 3 weeks and 8 weeks.

You can post photos on here. Some people are really good at spotting which chicks are males. It may be too early to tell now, but about 6 weeks is usually a good time.

I do believe one of my RIBs is a roo. Due to the way he (assume) is acting compared to all the rest. I definitely think he is different. But I was guaranteed a 98% all females.

Try posting a photo of that one now.
I think Rhode Island Blues are actually a color-sexable hybrid, so it might be possible to tell by the color on that one.

Back
Top Bottom