1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick has hatched..when can it be around older chickens/rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smileysjs1, May 6, 2009.

1. smileysjs1

smileysjs1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    So we had a chick hatch and we have it with its mother separated from the other groupof hens/roosters. Would it be okay if they were all together or will the others attack it?

2. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    It really depends on how protective the mother hen is. You can try to put them with the other hens but be prepared to intervene.

3. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    On the rare occasion that I allow a hen to hatch AND rear her own I always seperate them from the group for at least until the little guys feather out. With the Silkies the other hens can be downright nasty to a chick and if the mom is low man in the coop the chicks may be killed.
    Now I had a Ameraucana adopt 10 barred rock chicks and she being a leader ran everyone away from the food and were ever she went with her adopted crew. So it depends on the mama hen.
    Same with Roos, I have a Silkie roo that LOVES chicks. Pretends hes a hen with them. Then I have some hateful roos that I dont much trust with hens much less chicks...sooo you just have to know your birds.

4. smileysjs1

smileysjs1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    I think the silkie is pretty low on the ladder. I guess I'll keep them separated then. Thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by