1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick has not grown, ????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sandy sea, Aug 26, 2008.

1. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    I purchased 6 standard day old chicks from the feed store. 2 light brahams ,2 buff orpingtons. 2 blk sexlinks, and 2 E.Es. They are now around 2 and a half months old. They all have feathers, and are about the same size except for one of the orpingtons, it has not grown. It has just the same feather development as the others but the size is the same as it was went I got it. It seems to be healthy, eats and drinks, but does not grow. What is going on?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    could it be some kind of bantam?...[​IMG]..Wendy

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    maybe its not getting as much extra stuff (vitamins etc) as the others, could be a bantam. Could be a "runt", also.. Pen space will effect growth. BUT, that would affect them all. not just one

4. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

do u have pics??????

5. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    The tiny chick was to be a standard buff orpington. I bought two of them at the same time. They looked the same. They still look the same except for the major size difference. I will take pictures tomorrow. It is very weird.

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Oh that is so strange! Even my bantams have double in size since I got them... it may have been an accidental mix with a bantam?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by