chick hatch colour variations

janukey

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 20, 2014
Hi Guys

these four were hatched christmas eve/day and here is a photo of the parents.

they are imported blue/gold porclaine sablepoots and the founder of the colour is Mr Joop Hageman president of the sablepoot club in the Netherlands

here are the chicks and i was wondering why the diverse coloring in the chicks, your thoughts welcome :)

I suggest you send photos of the parents and chicks and ask Mr Joop Hageman. He should know enough about their genetics to give you a good answer.

My first thought is that they are not porcelain. I have not seen any porcelain in person but I’d expect them to be totally different looking from photos I’ve seen with much less red. But I don’t know what Mr. Hageman has developed so I think it best to ask him to get a definitive answer. I’m not sure he has developed Porcelain the way I think of porcelain so I am certainly confused on the genetics of those from your photos.

Porcelain should be based on Lavender. Then he has thrown Blue in the mix. I’m not sure what the results of that mix would be. Since Blue is in the mix, you have a possibility of getting either Splash, Blue, or Black as far as the feathers affected by that gene goes. With those chickens it looks like that would be mainly the tail feathers and some pattern feathers so I don’t think the possible B/B/S variations would cause that much difference in the chicks. I could be wrong.

You clearly have three different colored chicks. That kind of variation from two specific parents means at least one of the parents and maybe both are not pure for at least one gene. That may be planned such as the Blue/Black/Splash gene to give you the Blue color or it may be that there is a recessive gene hiding behind a dominant gene. I’d certainly ask Mr. Hageman to see what he has to say.

I agree with Ridgerunner. The parents are not looking porcelain to me either. They look blue which as said above would give you blue, black, and splash offspring, which is what your chicks look like. But I could be wrong. Good luck with them.

below is the advert for the eggs. i will contact the seller for information on where to contact the breeder of the parent birds and also ask her for info on the results of her hatchings...cheers and thanks for you input guys .

" This auction is for 6 Ultra Rare Blue/Gold Porcelain Sabelpoot Booted Bantam hatching eggs.

We have imported these birds from the founder of this colour in Holland Mr Joop Hageman President of Sabelpoot Club In Netherlands. These birds are registered with the EE in Holland as you can see from the leg ring and these birds are of very good quality and believed to be the only ones of this rare colour in the UK.

As you will see from the pictures of the wing pattern and feather tips are perfect which is hard to find which I why I imported them.

We am currently running 2 pens of one cockerels with two hens and fertility has been good as we’ve hatched a lot from this breeding group this year."

Agree you need to contact the seller and see what's up. As Ridgerunner said, that much variation usually means one parent isn't genetically pure.

Ahhhh all becomes clear now, a matter of miss communication
barnie.gif
, the seller said if the blue/gold goes off the lay if it was ok with me she would send some reds as well, and as the eggs appeared to be marked blue i assumed they`d be blues but seems i have a mix of reds too...she has offered to send me some more reds and i will get some blues when they are laying.

trust me to be interested in the rarer new colours and not to stick to the better known hey (apart from my millies that is
big_smile.png

thank you for you wisdom guys

jan xx

Back
Top Bottom