Chick hatched 1st June still not walking (pics) - should I cull

Morag

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Moniaive Scotland
This little chick was 1 of 6 that hatched on the 1st of June, they were all from the same breeder, shipped eggs, it has never stood up, it walks on it's hocks. It's feet look curled but they will straighten out, especially when you turn it upside down. I've tried a band aid, I've fed it vitamins, I take it out every day and gently stretch its legs but it doesn't seem to be thriving, it does eat and drink. All the other chicks are growing really well although some seem to be developing faster than others. Should I keep trying or am I being cruel? The other chickens are walking on top of it but they still cuddle up at night. I tried seperating it but I think it got lonely, it kept cheeping. I thought I might put it back in the incubator with one of its sibblings so I can keep a closer eye on it. Any advice would be welcome.

51400_103_3023.jpg
51400_103_3040.jpg
51400_103_3025.jpg
51400_103_3043.jpg
51400_103_3030.jpg

You will see from the pictures that the others are getting much bigger and more feathered. The 1 in the feed bowl also seems slower to develop but it's walking ok. It had a bent neck for the first few days and one leg seemed to stick out but it appears normal now. The eggs seemed very small, they are bantum wyandottes.

It does not seem likely that it can walk normally and probably has a genetic problem.
Personally I would try strapping the legs again with a band aid and give it a few more days. If at the end of this time there is no improvement it probably would be kindest to cull it,

SORRY,

Sandie

Thank you, this is the first time I've had one with problems and its difficult not to get attached as I've spent so much more time with it than the others. I moved it to the bator last night and trying the band aid again , I'll give it another couple of days but if it seems to be suffering I will do the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom