Chick hatched early. Need advice ASAP!

ColinK48

Chirping
Feb 16, 2019
I’m going to try to keep this short so I can get this posted. I have a broody hen that has been sitting for 16 day’s. Yesterday I saw a chick peeping externally. Well it hatched today. All my eggs were marked but some how this one is early and they are not supposed to hatch until Sunday. Anyways she has 7 more eggs that are still developing. I’m thinking about taking the chick out tonight when it gets dark, so she will still sit and hatch the eggs. I would put it in the brooder until the others hatched and then try to get her to adopt it? Is this a good idea? I really want her to hatch the other eggs. I marked all my eggs and don’t know how this happened. But I know that when chicks start to hatch the broody hens will only sit actively for about 48 more hours on the eggs. Please tell me if my idea would work or if I leave it with her. Thank you Colin

Hi, I'm sorry you aren't getting any replies. I've never hatched eggs, so I can't help you. :( I'm sorry.

Does the chick look normal? Big enough, etc.

Can you post a picture?

Hi, I'm sorry you aren't getting any replies. I've never hatched eggs, so I can't help you. :( I'm sorry.

Does the chick look normal? Big enough, etc.

Can you post a picture?
Yes it looks normal. My main concern is if she will stay on the rest of the eggs. I know for sure the other eggs still have a few more days from candling. I have a pick from earlier. It’s not the clearest but I don’t want to bother her to much by taking another one right now.

Attachments

• AB005707-CEED-4294-8CDB-38E34893479E.jpeg
    AB005707-CEED-4294-8CDB-38E34893479E.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 12
Very adorable little chick!

Sorry, I can't help with what you are worried about. Hopefully this thread will get bumped up in the "new posts" section so more people will see it. :)

Pictures would be good. I also have never hatched eggs, and have NO idea how this happened. I'm pretty sure that your options are:
-put chick in brooder
-leave chick with her and put eggs in incubator.
I have no experience with this, but I'm pretty sure that if I had an incubator, I'd put the eggs in there and let her keep the chick. The lone chick would be lonely in the brooder, and she likely wouldn't accept it back. If you put the eggs in the incubator, she can take care of her chick and it won't be lonely, and the others can hatch and have each other for company. Again, I have never done this. @MysteryChicken - I know that you've hatched eggs before, what are your thoughts?

I’d personally wait to take it and put the chick in a brooder. Keep in mind that it will be very lonely and need a buddy, also If you take it from her now they likely won’t have a bond when they’re able to be reintroduced once the other eggs hatch. I’d be pretty surprised though if you don’t have another chick pip in the night or early tomorrow so waiting is probably your best rout for now unless she’s showing obvious signs of wanting to leave the nest. I’ve had hens that have hatched out chicks for an entire week only hatching one sometimes two every 24 hours. for now I’d just make sure food and a water dish the chicks can’t drown in nor will get spilled into the nest are within reaching distance or a short walk from the hen where she can easily feed the hat hatched chick while still keeping on the nest. I’d also say it’d be best (if you’ve got an incubator) to go ahead and heat it up and get lockdown humidity levels so that if she gets up you can pop and Unhatched or pipped eggs in and hatch them yourself and then pop the chicks as they hatch sneakily under her at night so she’s still mothering them all. Hope this is helpful!!

Pictures would be good. I also have never hatched eggs, and have NO idea how this happened. I'm pretty sure that your options are:
-put chick in brooder
-leave chick with her and put eggs in incubator.
I have no experience with this, but I'm pretty sure that if I had an incubator, I'd put the eggs in there and let her keep the chick. The lone chick would be lonely in the brooder, and she likely wouldn't accept it back. If you put the eggs in the incubator, she can take care of her chick and it won't be lonely, and the others can hatch and have each other for company. Again, I have never done this. @MysteryChicken - I know that you've hatched eggs before, what are your thoughts?
Usually if I hatch chicks under broodies, I take the chicks, & put them in the brooder. But, maybe try to keep the chick with mom for a day, or two. Maybe the peeping will encourage the other unhatched chicks to get ready to hatch.

Usually if I hatch chicks under broodies, I take the chicks, & put them in the brooder. But, maybe try to keep the chick with mom for a day, or two. Maybe the peeping will encourage the other unhatched chicks to get ready to hatch.
Ok thank you. My only worry with this is that the other eggs are may be up to 5 days behind?

Back
Top Bottom