Chick Hatched, Trailing Stuff...

countyroad1330

Thunder Snow 2009!
13 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Oklahoma!
I had a chick hatch over 24 hours ago. I noticed that it had a large lump and what looked like dried blood on its abdomen, so I left it in the incubator. It is walking around and chirping now, but has a large bloody mass trailing behind it. Will it make it?

Sounds like an unasorbed yolk... but maybe it's the wastes and part of the envelope that used to cover it? Hard to imagine really. The best you can do now is make sure the others do not peck on it and let it dry up and fall off on it;s own. If it gets really dry, you can snip it off a bit away from the body.

That is most likely a piece of the shell membrane that feeds the chick like a placenta feeds a human baby. Is any part of it dry? Or does it look like a long string of yolk sak?

If the chick has been out for 24 hours look at it real good and see if you can clip it off.

I hate telling ppl what to do because if something happens I feel like it is my fault. So I am NOT telling you to clip it. I am telling you to look at it real close and if it is drying up you can make the call and decide to clip it off so it isn't dragging it around and the bellybutton will heal up and close off.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Back
Top Bottom