Chick hatched with deformed feet

LilyAcres

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2019
Central NY
Hello, so this is my first time hatching chicks, and one of the chicks that hatched today has deformed feet. Her toes point inwards, she keeps on falling over, and gets pushed around by the other chicks. She can only kinda hobble around, but not very well. She is not as active than the others, but I think that is only because of her not being able to walk, as she was lively when I picked her up. She is the only one that has it, and I got the eggs from my own flock so I know that they are all healthy. Does anyone know what could have caused this? Is there anything I can do to help her? Could this be some type of deficiency even though none of the other chicks have it? Or maybe her feet just formed Thanks
View attachment 1977086

Hello, so this is my first time hatching chicks, and one of the chicks that hatched today has deformed feet. Her toes point inwards, she keeps on falling over, and gets pushed around by the other chicks. She can only kinda hobble around, but not very well. She is not as active than the others, but I think that is only because of her not being able to walk, as she was lively when I picked her up. She is the only one that has it, and I got the eggs from my own flock so I know that they are all healthy. Does anyone know what could have caused this? Is there anything I can do to help her? Could this be some type of deficiency even though none of the other chicks have it? Or maybe her feet just formed Thanks
View attachment 1977086
Can you post some photos?
Hopefully the taping of the feet will correct it. I would also give the chick some poultry vitamins that contain B2(Riboflavin) or you can crush up 1/4 tablet human B-Complex and add it to her feed daily.

image1 (9).jpeg

Could this be caused by hatching a day late? She hatched on day 22. I tried the taping method. But if it doesn't work will she learn how to walk better on her own? From what I can tell her legs seem to be fine, it was just the way I took the picture as she wouldn't hold still.

Last edited:
:jumpyCongratulations on your new chicks! Curled toes need to be straightened out and held in place with tape.
Check out this video.

Great link.

Toes look crooked instead of curled. If crooked, likely those cannot be corrected.

That's what I was thinking. Hope OP will update thread with treatment and results.

She is the only one that has it, and I got the eggs from my own flock so I know that they are all healthy.

If treatment options don't work, I would suggest thinking about culling the chick. Not all chicks survive and why prolong the suffering? Sounds like you have many other chicks to care for that are healthy. Culling sick/deformed animals is the part of responsibility of caring for animals that I don't like, but feel it is neccessary. Never my first choice to cull a animal, but sometimes it is the better option. Hope your treatment works and you can save the chick. Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom