Chick hatched with weird feet *pic*

Well, Mt little one didnt make it.
sad.png
I got up this morning, to find her lifeless in the brooder. POor thing.

I had one that hatched like that as well, unfortunately she didn't make it either :( I was so excited about my little silkie too!!!

Hello, we are going threw this again,. We have made "ortho chick splints" and they have worked in the past. This time we have to straighten out the little foot joint. We started by taping the toes straight for 24 hrs and making sure she ate and drank. today we are puting on adjustible splints made of gauze wrapped cut down paper clips w/ends caped w/tape. the trick is to not try and straighten it all at once. Start bye bending your clip into an almost normal position and hold it next to chicks foot and visualize what u want to happen. Then bend it close to the shape the foot is in now, showing say a 20 percent improvement of where it is now and GENTLY and in SMALL increments stretch the foot into the new shape. *remember you are going to do this in stages*. tape chicks foot onto splint and let it rest, keep it warm and try to make sure it drinks. Think how a humans teeth are straightened with braces... not all in one day and its the same with a chick except you increase the correct shape a little more each day. this can take one day or several. If the chick is peeping wildly and seems to be in pain you are going to far too fast. I talked to one lady who would splint 12 hrs and give 12 off. It worked for her. The point is that many crocked feet/joints are malable and can be adjusted orev a few days to a week. If the chick is doing well and thriving keep going if not then I would consider quality of life issues. I also try to remember that it does not have to be a perfect foot just one the chick can work with and support its self with. I hope this helps. God bless. ps, I would like to add this, If it seems your little one is not eating or drinking only leave them on a few hours a day. I really needed another person to gently hold the baby for me, not a one person job. Wishing u all the best

Last edited:
I had the same thing, My chick had it for 1-2 weeks I believe however every day it got better and better. In the end when she was all grown up you would never been able to tell.

Back
Top Bottom