Chick hatched with weird feet *pic*

snugglepup

Songster
12 Years
Apr 15, 2007
Creedmoor, NC
Hi everyone,

I had a chick hatch last night that still today is not able to walk. It is as if his feet are attatched wrong at the ankles, so that they bend towards each other instead of flat. They are not spraddle legs, nor really curled toes. Any thoughts? I think I know what will have to happen, but wanted to ask first.

IMG_0424.jpg

Last edited:
I have known humans whose feet were attached backwards at birth. They required extensive surgery to have a normal life. I want to see the pics. Maybe then someone will have an idea. Poor baby!

The chick has spraddle leg. You can hobble it by tieing the legs close enough together with a length of yarn to stand up, but not be unable to walk. and not tight so it cuts off circulation. You can also use a bandaid. Just stick the tape at each end on the chicks leg. Make sure it can stand up correctly, but not so close it can't walk. Make sure you keep it on a coarse surface like the paper towels you have t here.

Good luck!

I don't think that he does. I have had spraddle leg before, and with the bandaid on, the legs appeared normal and the chicks posture was relatively normal. This chick seems to have his ankles on backwards. I can tape the legs together(meaning parallel), but his feet would still be sideways, so he'd be bearing weight on his ankle bones, not the feet at all.

yeah...
sad.png

We tried several different ways to support/splint his legs and couldn't even manipulate his feet into a usable position. He tries to walk on his joints and the skin there is getting very red and sore looking. I think we're going to have to let this one go.

I have one hatched out Saturday JUST LIKE THAT!
I have tried the taped on sandals...they keep coming off. It walks on its hind legs. What breed is that, I swear, looks just like my baby. RIR/mix/Australorp. Poor thing. Mine is not thriveing...I am trying to get it to eat...but I dont think it will make it.
sad.png

I had an order of chicks come in and one silkie has her toes bent oddly. Her outer toes are bent toward her body so that they tuck under the pad of her foot. And her middle toe and inner toe curl into a perching position that bends toward her body. I was told this is genetic since both feet do this. But, little Gimpster has survived and has learned to first hobble about on the sides of her feet. Then once she got that down by day 3 she was running! She is now 4 weeks and hops about and pretty much gets around like any of her sibling flockmates. I guess the only thing I haven't decided yet is to not breed her at all or to let her have one brood at the least. I just don't know if this kind of defect is easily passed or if it is just one of those one in a 1,000s thing. One thing for sure she will have a loving home with me as a pet.

Back
Top Bottom