Chick hatched with yolk

gaeamama

Songster
12 Years
Jun 17, 2007
WMass.
My eggs started hatching this morning! But the first one out still has the yolk sack attached. She hatched at 8:45am, now it's 3:30 and it's started leaking and I see some blood too.

Any advice? Should I leave her in the bator longer?

I have one other new hatched and 4 more pips.

Here's a pic of the sack:

100_3200.jpg

100_3197.jpg

My computer's slow so I didn't see your pic but I did have one hatch with the yolk still attached once. I left her in the bator and she absorbed the yolk. I don't remember exactly how long--I think maybe by the next day I had her out. what was left dried up until it was just a stringy cord hanging there. I cut it off. She was a very feistly little girl. Still one of my favorites.

It should absorb on its own; watch to make sure non one else (as they hatch & begin to get around more) steps on it. If it looks like she could be in danger of being stepped on, I'd remove her & put her in an area where she's by herself, but can see/hear the others (if at all possible). SHe should be just fine - good luck, and congrats on your hatch!

Yay! Thank you. One more hatched just now. Sooo exciting!
I'll keep an eye on the yolk and keep her out of harm's way. Right now she's resting in an egg carton... she made her way back in after wandering around!

Back
Top Bottom