Chick hatching too soon.

chickenrun223

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 25, 2009
Selangor, Malaysia
Hi all. My little chickens are dues to hatch on the 21st. However, one of them cracked its little shell today. 3 days early! Does anyone know what the effects will be, or what causes this?

ps. My humidity was pretty low, at only 40% and the chick was unable to get out by itself, so we helped it after 2 hours. It's just lying there breathing right now.

Your temps and humidity may have been off. Chicks can take 24 hours or longer from pipping the shell to finally zipping out. They need to finish absorbing the yolk sac and rest, while still in the shell. It's hard work from pip time to hatching.

Last edited:
My temperature stayed at an average of 100 degrees F. Lowest being 98 and highest being 104. I don't think that the chick would have been able to hatch, seeing as even we had a bit of a problem breaking the membrane.

You need the temps to stay stable. That is a large fluctuation. If you are using still air you want it at 101. Not for sure what it is for forced bit I think it is 99
I would not help anymore chicks.

Last edited:
Hey all! My chick turned out all right. Another little one hatched while i was at school. No help.
smile.png
I feel pretty happy right now. New question though. I have 3 chicks now and if i put them in the same basket, the biggest tries to peck the middle aged one, and the middle one tries to peck the youngest. What can i do besides putting them in seperate containers?

Quote:
The only reason chicks hatch early is that they were too warm.

Check your thermometer.

Back
Top Bottom