1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Chick heat question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shannonk03, Mar 9, 2011.

1. shannonk03

shannonk03 New Egg

Aug 4, 2010
    I have 2 1/2 week old babies (three of them) brooding inside my house, I want to get some day olds but know better than to put them together. My question is, will the older babies be ok inside without a heat lamp? My house stays about 70 degrees with no drafts, just trying to avoid two heat lamps unless I have to [​IMG] Thanks!

2. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    I have mixed ages together and they do fine as long as you aren't mixing babies with older pullet or full grown chickens. As far as heat goes babies need heat for awhile even in the house. I kept mine between 85-90 degrees and they are doing well.

3. shannonk03

shannonk03 New Egg

Aug 4, 2010
    Thanks, I was afraid the older babies would pick on the younger babies!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

At 2-3 weeks, they still need warmer than ave. house temps. I would TRY them together and see how they do. I added two 5 day olds to my four 13 day olds last weekend. The older ones pecked a bit, more exploratory than aggressive. I did use a hardware cloth divider in my brooder (with the lamp more on the little chicks' side) for a day and a half. But they're doing great together now -divider gone. Hopefully yours will be accepting [​IMG] If you use a divider, it only needs to be maybe 6-8 inches tall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by