Chick Heating Method (Radiant Heat)

I've been doing some more experimenting with the type of pan and temp reading method.
I went to the dollar store and picked up a $1 foil cookie sheet/roasting pan.
KIMG0424.jpg
I basically did everything the same way as with the cookie sheet description. I used different foam (thicker) as I needed more height to keep the heating pad in contact with the cookie sheet.
The biggest difference this time was how I checked the temperature.
I used a half dollar and placed it onto the top to mimic the weight of a chick pushing down against the T-shirt keeping it in direct contact with the foil pan. To take the temperature I quickly lifted the coin and took my reading with the infared heat gun. The temp was measured on the same black spot each time:
Here's some pictures
KIMG0422.jpg
KIMG0423.jpg
KIMG0421.jpg KIMG0420.jpg
KIMG0419.jpg
Temperature are as follows:
Room temperature is 62°
Low= 85.5°
Medium = 90.5°
High = 101°
Based on these results after having the chicks initially on High for the first hour or so to warm back up from shipping I would switch down to Medium and just monitor chick behavior from that point on and adjust as needed. I like the fact that I can achieve higher temperatures allowing for brooding in colder spaces. The Tin foil pan also allows for faster heat up and would only need to be turned on about 30-60 minutes prior to chick arrival.
I switched to a cheap foil cookie sheet so it could be simple throw away when done if you didn't want to keep it.

More testing completed. So for those in colder climates that may want to brood chicks in your garage or other colder areas here are the testing results from doing just that.
I used the same setup as shown above with the tin foil pan but this time i moved it out into my garage.

Room Temperature = 37°F
Low= 68°F
Medium= 78°F
High= 91.5° F
On high I also placed 3 more half dollars located in 3 spots: center of pan, 1/3 of the way onto pan, and edge of pan.
Test results on High:
Center= 93°F
1/3= 90.5°F
Edge= 80°F

That is going to be it for the testing to see what temperatures are capable of being achieved with this method of heating.
Now onto using it with chicks. I wish someone would try it already!!! I am still about 3 months out from getting chicks myself. :barnie
I guess in the mean time I'll just kick back and :caf hoping someone will give it a go. I do expect it to work extremely well based on both sets of results.
I hope you have enjoyed this thread to date!! And please please let me know if you plan on using this to brood chicks before I am able to or if you have any questions.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Did you do some center to edge readings too?

Oh, and, will wait for your results with live chicks before contemplating that method myself. ;)

Did you do some center to edge readings too?
I fired it back up to get some more data for you. I listed the results in previous post.

I believe with this method the chick will easily find it's comfort zone. For example when you come in from being out in the cold and go sit right next to the wood stove to warm up. After alittle bit you start to get hot and keep moving away from the wood stove until you find that right distance from it that is comfortable for you. Same thing applies to this. I would like to think that this will be the easiest way to provide the heat for chicks. No need to adjust heights as they grow, no need to make sure the height is right so they can reach it or set at an angle to provide different comfort zones. Truly the set it and forget it way of doing things. The chicks will find the spot that is right for them. I don't see a disadvantage to any other method out there. Time will tell.

Oh, and, will wait for your results with live chicks before contemplating that method myself. ;)
Well thats no fun !!!
Do you plan on getting chicks anytime soon? I am not sure on what method you currently use, I suspect MHP. How about this, if you have a spare heating pad would you consider putting this along side your current setup at the same time? Figure it can't hurt and its about as cheap and as easy to make as it gets.:idunno
I wish I could get 3 or 4 White Plymouth Rock chicks as I want to add those to cross with my Orpington roos anyways.

I fired it back up to get some more data for you. I listed the results in previous post.

I believe with this method the chick will easily find it's comfort zone. For example when you come in from being out in the cold and go sit right next to the wood stove to warm up. After alittle bit you start to get hot and keep moving away from the wood stove until you find that right distance from it that is comfortable for you. Same thing applies to this. I would like to think that this will be the easiest way to provide the heat for chicks. No need to adjust heights as they grow, no need to make sure the height is right so they can reach it or set at an angle to provide different comfort zones. Truly the set it and forget it way of doing things. The chicks will find the spot that is right for them. I don't see a disadvantage to any other method out there. Time will tell.
Depends how many chicks you have. 10-15 might not have the choice they need

Depends how many chicks you have. 10-15 might not have the choice they need
10-15 should be a non-issue from what I can see. I suspect 10-15 to be ideal with potential for a few more using a 12x15 pad. That's why I am itching at the bit to get chicks.
This I based off of me doing 26 chicks last year with a similar setup 24"x20"using two heat pads. Radiant Heat source was provided from above that time. From beneath should do even better.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom