Chick hips pop out then walk like penguin

Minkygrey

In the Brooder
May 17, 2021
Found my cochin chick, 6 weeks old, one morning walking like a penguin. I can pop hips back into place and then she walks normal for a while but then she clicks back into penguin mode. Found many posts on this subject but no solution. Wondering and hoping someone has found an answer by now

Have you felt her rear/abdomen to see if you feel an egg shape or hard lump anywhere? Usually a hen walking like a penguin is a sign of being egg bound. Do a search on the forum for "Egg bound hen" and you will find lots of resources to compare your hen's condition with and see if it matches.

Have you felt her rear/abdomen to see if you feel an egg shape or hard lump anywhere? Usually a hen walking like a penguin is a sign of being egg bound. Do a search on the forum for "Egg bound hen" and you will find lots of resources to compare your hen's condition with and see if it matches.
The chick is only 6 weeks old :)

I had to euthanize the chick. The hips kept on clicking out making her stand upright and she had pain when I tried to correct them. I didn't want to take the chance that she might be suffering.
But I still want an answer as to why this happens. Really sad condition

Just to add from my other thread:
So I think it might be 1 of the following:
Bacterial chondronecrosis with osteomyelitis or
Reoarthritis or
Viral arthritis.

She had a sore on the side of her beak. Struggling to find proper pictures and explanation in "normal people english" to clarify which one it is.

Back
Top Bottom