Chick Hock Infection - Chick is on the mend!!

I'm so glad that he is doing well, and has recovered. Just for future reference, the Duramycin10 dosage should be stronger--1/2 tablespoonful to 1 tablespoonful per gallon for the 400 or 800 mg dosage. Thanks for the update.

Chick update: The little one remains by himself in a fish tank in the brooder in view of the other chicks but unable to be bulldozed by them. A local farm vet on a facebook group I'm in has been giving me advice on the treatment of the little one. She's not an official poultry vet, but she is familiar with chickens and problems like these and I am very grateful for her assistance.

I've had the chick drinking medicated water (Duramycin, tetracycline hydrochloride) since Monday and the hock is looking less yellow and squishy and more reddish. The leg makes an odd popping up near the hip when I gently exercise it every day. I fear this may be permanent bone damage from the issue, but I don't know for certain. There is a lot of strength in the leg still, and he can grip my fingers tightly with both of his feet just fine.

The chick seems to want to hold the leg out to the side because it's less painful for it, and the leg seems to be rotating more outward, so I created a hobble for him out of sports tape. It has been keeping the legs aligned properly and the chick has been getting around well. 

More updates soon.
I have a chick with the same thing going on with her hock , but I cant find anywhere to buy the meds you gave your chick , I don't know what to do , I have been soaking hher hock in Epsom salts water ,and applying triple antibiotic ointment but it isn't looking much better and the antibiotic you used is RX only and I can't afford to take her to the vet anyone have any suggestions

I have a chick with the same thing going on with her hock , but I cant find anywhere to buy the meds you gave your chick , I don't know what to do , I have been soaking hher hock in Epsom salts water ,and applying triple antibiotic ointment but it isn't looking much better and the antibiotic you used is RX only and I can't afford to take her to the vet anyone have any suggestions
Most chicken antibiotics are only available through a vet since the end of 2016. Can you post any pictures of the chick's leg and some details about what is going on? Slipped tendons and other leg bone deformities are common in newly hatched chicks. Infections in the joints are not.

She has balled up foot which I am treating with a chick shoe and her little hock joint is swollen and yellow looking with red around it , I'll take a picture next time I tend to he joint , she loves the soaking in warm Epsom salts water it must feel good , she came to me by mail there were 10 others in the box with her, her symptoms are the same as Wingleader described in her chick, it is too swollen to see if tendon is slipped, but I can straighten the leg out and bend it without difficult and it doesn't seem to hurt her , but she can't bear weight on it , since I put the shoe on her she does straighten the leg some but pulls it back up to hopp , also there is no fuzzy hair down to the hock like her other leg

Last edited:
I was able to find Aureomycin 25g it has Chlortetracycline hydrochloride and is safe for small birds I am going to try it.

Poor little Hoppy's hock it is really yellow and red and hurts her when I touch it, I have them all on nutri-drench, Electrolytes , and Probiotic is there anything else I can do I will look for B2 the nutri-drench doesn't have it in it, I am also feeding just her some boiled egg yolks.

Last edited:
Poultry Cell has the riboflavin, and if your electrolytes has vitamins, it may have riboflavin. When chicks have slipped tendon, it can be common for the hock to become red and swollen.

Poultry Cell has the riboflavin, and if your electrolytes has vitamins, it may have riboflavin. When chicks have slipped tendon, it can be common for the hock to become red and swollen.

Ok I will check on the riboflavin and I am going to start her on the antibiotic , and buy her some medicated starter food , maybe if I can get swelling down I will be able to see the tendon I can't even see it except further down her leg and it looks like it is straight there , I will let you know how it goes and I might have more questions , thank you so much for helping me I am new to this , I searched for 12 hours looking for answers and some sort of med for her

I have a question , the med ,I got says to desolve one pill in 8oz of water should I give the whole 8 ounces to her until it's gone or give her plain water in between bowls full of med. water, sorry for the silly question never done this before and I don't want to over medicate her she is 1 week old Tuesday, she has been getting the same food and same vitamins as the others but they are now bigger than her she isn't growing much, took her shoe off today after 3 days of wearing it and it looks great the foot held shape like it should be , except it is turned on the outer side just a tad but toes are apart instead of balled up into a fist , the infection is looking a little better the Epsom salts bath and triple antibiotic is working , I saw some tiny pieces of yellow falling off today as she soaked into the water I am assuming this is a good thing and she let me touch it without flinching or yelling the redness is getting better too and swelling is going down some maybe after it gets better I will be able to tell if the tendon is slipped , would this make the bottom half of the leg be turned slightly?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom