Chick housing Question

bgbg001

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 5, 2011
Hi
I have 2 Hens both on Eggs that are due to hatch on the 1st of January, and was wondering if it is possible too put both hens and chicks in the one enclosure, or will the Hens attack each other or the other chicks ?
I have 1 Hen and 4 chicks at the moment that have gotten out of there Pen and into the flock a number of times and the other Hens and Rooster do not bother them.

Also I have a young pullet that is nearly the same size as the full grown Chickens but quite a bit younger than most of the others, I have had her for about 6 weeks and got 2 other hens at the same time that have integrated well with the rest of the flock, but this one spends the majority of her time in the hen house because all the other chickens hate her, as soon as they see her they attack her, even the Rooster bashes her up as soon as he sees her ? " she is such a sweet chicken too " " she is not sick or anything "any Ideas why or how to fix it ?

thanks in Advance
Bill

Regarding your two broodies, it depends on your birds.
I have two silkies that are raising their chicks together. They weren't friends or anything, didn't share a nestbox, it was just easier for me. After the first mamma's babies hatched I moved her to a corner of her large coop and put up some fencing to make sure to give mom and chicks time alone but still with the flock. When the second momma's babies hatched, maybe 5 days later, I added her and babies to that area too. Lots of room and a nest box all their own. Moms never fought and babies got along great. The fencing was removed after a few days and moms go everywhere together with babies following, all with the rest of my flock, so this was the easiest intregration I have ever had. The moms would even call the other mom's babies over for a piece of tasty food they found and would feed them so that was handy, but they only sat on their own babies, just shared the other work between them. The chicks are about 9 weeks old now, still with moms and both moms and babies still all pile into that corner nest box I set up for them. My roos were curious at first about the newcomers but if they got too close, they had two silkie ninja mamas to deal with.
That's sad about your one pullet. I'm not sure why she didn't friendly up with the other 2 hens that you got at the same time.

Hi Chicken Chat
Thanks for the reply,
I will give the 2 girls together ago, they are both in nest boxes next to each other anyway, so it sounds like it may work, I am a little short on space at the moment so it will help if they can all go in the same spot.

As to the Pullet, I know she makes it worse for herself when the others attack her she panics and runs screaming which makes them chase her more, If she just stood there and copped a few pecks they would most likely leave her alone. I just hope as she gets older that she will start to stick up for herself, she is still fairly young.

cheers
Bill

Back
Top Bottom