Chick hurt from rough hatch

Mamalana

Chirping
Mar 17, 2023
Hi y'all.

This is my first time incubating and I had 2 chicks hatch 4 days before the 21 day mark. I hadn't taken the egg rotator out yet, so I unplugged it and left them in. The next day another one hatched. The two attacked it, but it was OK. The next day a 4th was born and the first two really went after it. They ate the yolk sac and pushed the chick into a position where its head got stuck in the rotator. Even though it was only minutes old, I took its head out of the rotator and covered it with a towel while I took the other 3 chicks out and removed the rotator. There are still other eggs hatching and the chick that had its head stuck looks like it has an injured eye. It has a hard time walking and keeps laying on its back. One of the eyes doesn't seem to open. Its still wet, so I havent examined up close, as its still in the incubator.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi y'all.

This is my first time incubating and I had 2 chicks hatch 4 days before the 21 day mark. I hadn't taken the egg rotator out yet, so I unplugged it and left them in. The next day another one hatched. The two attacked it, but it was OK. The next day a 4th was born and the first two really went after it. They ate the yolk sac and pushed the chick into a position where its head got stuck in the rotator. Even though it was only minutes old, I took its head out of the rotator and covered it with a towel while I took the other 3 chicks out and removed the rotator. There are still other eggs hatching and the chick that had its head stuck looks like it has an injured eye. It has a hard time walking and keeps laying on its back. One of the eyes doesn't seem to open. Its still wet, so I havent examined up close, as its still in the incubator.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks.
So long as it's the only chick in the incubator, I'd leave it alone for it to be warm and dry off. That's not an experience I have had and I don't know that it's a great call... But hatching is hard work and it's probably currently exhausted. Some one else with more experience might have a better idea.

*Edit : Since your other chicks ate the yolk, you might want to have it stay in a separate area (with plenty of warmth, and it's own food and water) until it's up and capable of holding it's own against the other chicks. ... Once it's dried off in the incubator.

I hope your chick pulls through!

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. The only reason o took the other chicks out was that the new one's head was very stuck and was getting really pecked at by the others. It was flailing around unable to get out. The first two chicks were so hungry and thirsty that as soon as I pit them in the brooder they started eating. I told myself I wouldn't interfere, but I couldn't leave the poor thing stuck like that. The rotator has holes on it where the eggs sit and that's where it was pushed. Pobrecita.

Also, the newest chick is falling on its back and having trouble walking. It was literally torn from its egg by the other 3 chicks, they ate the still attached yolk and pushed it into the hole.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. The only reason o took the other chicks out was that the new one's head was very stuck and was getting really pecked at by the others. It was flailing around unable to get out. The first two chicks were so hungry and thirsty that as soon as I pit them in the brooder they started eating. I told myself I wouldn't interfere, but I couldn't leave the poor thing stuck like that. The rotator has holes on it where the eggs sit and that's where it was pushed. Pobrecita.
I think you picked a good time to step in, personally. While chicks can go a couple of days (right after hatching) with out eatting, I have seen plenty that want to eat as soon as they're dry. Given the situation you described, the other chicks were probably very hungry.

Most of the chicken keeping journey is a lot of learning. Even if this particular chick dies, at least you learned something that will help saves others down the line.

Back
Top Bottom