Chick hurt

Jodeekep

Chirping
May 2, 2023
Noticed a couple hours ago that something is majorly wrong with a chick of mine. She is 6 week old. I was trying to rack my brain as to what it could be or what happened. All I could think was a chicken ran over her. She’s walking like something is broken. I don’t want her to suffer if there’s anything I can do or if I have to cull her.

Attachments

• IMG_2608.jpeg
    IMG_2608.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2609.jpeg
    IMG_2609.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2610.jpeg
    IMG_2610.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2611.jpeg
    IMG_2611.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2612.jpeg
    IMG_2612.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
What is your location?

What is the chicken being fed?

Has it been very hot?

Does the chick have access to grit?

What does its poop look like?
I’m in Flordia
Yes eat fine yesterday but not today
Yes it’s been super hot here where I am
I do provide grit to my chickens
It looks normal yesterday I haven’t seen the chicken poop today.

Try treating the chick for heat stress first. Give it a cup of water with one teaspoon sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda dissolved in it.

Have her drink this all day today. In addition, give her two teaspoons coconut oil, divided into pea size pieces and chilled hard to make it easy to push the pieces into the beak. Get all two teaspoons into her by prying open the beak and shoving it in. This will soften any blockage and help her poop if constipation is also an issue, often caused by heat stress and dehydration.

E
Try treating the chick for heat stress first. Give it a cup of water with one teaspoon sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda dissolved in it.

Have her drink this all day today. In addition, give her two teaspoons coconut oil, divided into pea size pieces and chilled hard to make it easy to push the pieces into the beak. Get all two teaspoons into her by prying open the beak and shoving it in. This will soften any blockage and help her poop if constipation is also an issue, often caused by heat stress and dehydration.
Okay , I have one but the baking soda , I used all for the waters without realizing. But I am in the processing of giving coconut oil. Thank you

Hi gave her the water and coconut oil. She used the bathroom

Attachments

• IMG_2619.jpeg
    IMG_2619.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom