Chick injured from dog

Devildai0321

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2024
Yesterday early evening late afternoon my dog bolted and did a snatch and run with my 3-4 week old silkie. I yelled and he dropped her with me running to her aid. She was bleeding with one wound on her back. We got her inside got the bleeding to stop and washed/irrigated the wound and got her dried up. She was and is not able to stand and tilts to her side. I checked both sides comparing and I don't see or feel anything broken in wings or legs. I put a small piece of gauze on her and wrapped some coband around her including her wings to her side just in case. She got sugar water with poultry cell in it by syringe. She has been alert, peeps when we call her name, has been eating and drinking on her own and has even poo'd. I had her in my room over night in a basket so I could hear her if she needed. I will not put her with the others until shes 100%.
20240422_134908.jpg
20240422_132030.jpg
20240422_140841.jpg
This morning I unwrapped her and she's been relaxing, looking around, talking and eating/drinking. She has stretched her wings, and wiggles her tail but still leans to one side and can not stand. What else can I or should I be doing. She seemed comfy while wrapped, do I wrap her again? Do I need to make a chick chair? Let her kinda be and see how she does?

She might be still recovering from shock, it can take them a few minutes to hours to recover from a sudden and scary event like that. Do what makes her most comfortable, make sure nothing gets in her wound, and wait longer to see if she will be able to stand again. I like to give them Hydro-Hen in their water if they get injured or sick, as that boosts their recovery level.

Do you have any vitamin E or chick vitamins? She might have some brain inflammation causing wry neck, and the E can help if she gets a little egg for selenium. Feed her watery chick feed, and feed and water her often. I would try her in a small chicken sling if she will tolerate it. Take her out of it to sleep and to rest often, and set some food and water near her in the sling. Here are some examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Do you have any vitamin E or chick vitamins? She might have some brain inflammation causing wry neck, and the E can help if she gets a little egg for selenium. Feed her watery chick feed, and feed and water her often. I would try her in a small chicken sling if she will tolerate it. Take her out of it to sleep and to rest often, and set some food and water near her in the sling. Here are some examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
I have been giving her poultry cell in her water. Thank you for the sling examples. I will get looking at making one and seeing if she will tolerate it.

I would spray some saline or wound spray on the wound twice a day, and keep Neosporin on the wound until it heals. Note if there are any signs of an abscess or swelling.

When I had my chickens attacked by dogs, I use couple of veterinary sprays on their wounds. I cannot remember the name of the first one but the second was Wound-Note, which I assume is very similar to BlueKote.
One rooster took half a day to snap out of being in shock, but originally I was suspecting serious injuries. The second one recovered overnight.
Third one got an infection and I am certain would had died if I did not started him on antibiotics.
Keep a close eye on your girl and if she starts getting lethargic, get her on antibiotics.
I used fish Amoxicillin. There are multiple posts here on the dosage. It will seem crazy high when you read it, but it is correct.
I don't remember the exact formula. Only that I gave my buy 250mg twice a day. Per someone's advice, I mixed it into a bit of coconut oil (about 1/2 tea spoon), then chilled the oil in the fridge.
Some of my chickens that survived limped for a few days after the attack.
Good luck.

When I had my chickens attacked by dogs, I use couple of veterinary sprays on their wounds. I cannot remember the name of the first one but the second was Wound-Note, which I assume is very similar to BlueKote.
One rooster took half a day to snap out of being in shock, but originally I was suspecting serious injuries. The second one recovered overnight.
Third one got an infection and I am certain would had died if I did not started him on antibiotics.
Keep a close eye on your girl and if she starts getting lethargic, get her on antibiotics.
I used fish Amoxicillin. There are multiple posts here on the dosage. It will seem crazy high when you read it, but it is correct.
I don't remember the exact formula. Only that I gave my buy 250mg twice a day. Per someone's advice, I mixed it into a bit of coconut oil (about 1/2 tea spoon), then chilled the oil in the fridge.
Some of my chickens that survived limped for a few days after the attack.
Good luck.
I will definitely be watching her to see if she needs to get on to antibiotics. She's been very alert today and talkative. She's been attempting to move a bit and ends up just flapping her wings a lot and laying on her side. I've had to prop her back up so many times already. I'm starting to wonder if she does have a break and I'm not feeling it or can't find it. Thank you for the idea of putting it in the coconut oil! I gave her a little earlier and she loves it so if needed it'd be an amazing trick to get antibiotics in her.

I will definitely be watching her to see if she needs to get on to antibiotics. She's been very alert today and talkative. She's been attempting to move a bit and ends up just flapping her wings a lot and laying on her side. I've had to prop her back up so many times already. I'm starting to wonder if she does have a break and I'm not feeling it or can't find it. Thank you for the idea of putting it in the coconut oil! I gave her a little earlier and she loves it so if needed it'd be an amazing trick to get antibiotics in her.
She may have an injury without anything being broken.
I had a pullet who I suspect was hit by a falling 2×4. I did not see it happen, but I was working and the chickens were near me and a 2x4 fell from about 3 feet up.
A bit later I saw a pulled that was just laying on the ground and not coming for treats (watermelon). She was hurt. She could barely walk and it was with a limp. I took her to a vet and he said he did not feel anything broken.
I separate her for a while so she could heal. She limped for a few weeks but it as time went by, it was less and less.

Back
Top Bottom