Chick injured while hatching, what to do?

Quinsmomma

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 5, 2012
Vineland, NJ
I posted this on the incubating/hatching eggs board but wondered if there might be someone to help on this board. Please forgive the double posting, I'm just not sure what to do.

We've had an exciting morning watching as new baby chicks started popping out from under their momma!

However, we saw a little baby laying in the sheds to the side of the mom. About an hour later it was still in the same spot, so I went in to retrieve what I thought was a dead chick. When I picked it up it was still breathing (just barely). We brought it into the house and warmed it in some towels and gave it a few drops of water and now it's perking up. It has a very large wound on the side of it's neck but it now seems like it might live.

What do I do with it now? Do I put it back out with the mom and chicks? Do we set up a brooder inside for only one chick? Guidance would be greatly appreciated.

If you put a wounded chick back in with the other chicks they are going to peck it to death.

Sometimes you might be able to get away with it, but by and large the healthy chicks will overpower the wounded one.

From what I have read on here, put a small mirror for him/her to 'look' at...they will think it's another chick...and a small stuffed animal...they like to snuggle.....oh, and CONGRATULATIONS! :)

Thanks for the replies. It made it through the night but it still doesn't look so great. It's having difficulty walking and eating and drinking by itself. The wound is really too noticable to put out with mom so I guess we'll just keep it in the house and see how it does.

Back
Top Bottom