Chick Injury!! PLEASE HELP!

jessicagoddard

Chirping
May 14, 2020
My 10 week old chicks got with my older, mature hens and I came out and saw one of them like this. I’m currently holding a bandage to her wound, and I’m not sure what else to do. Should I take her into the vet?
WARNING: GRAPHIC PHOTO

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 11
My 10 week old chicks got with my older, mature hens and I came out and saw one of them like this. I’m currently holding a bandage to her wound, and I’m not sure what else to do. Should I take her into the vet?
WARNING: GRAPHIC PHOTO
Ouch.
I would gently clean the wound with warm water and then spread some triple-antibiotic ointment on it (such as Neosporin). Due to the position of the wound, I wouldn't put any bandages on it, as one would have to wrap them around her neck, which could reduce or cut off her airflow.
Chickens are quite tough little creatures -- she should be fine, and a vet shouldn't be necessary.

That can heal without a Vet....only use anti-biotic if you are sure there is infection. Looks like you stopped the bleeding just fine. Keep her away from all other Critters while skin heals, spray w antibacterial spray in a few days, consider blue spray if you want to return her to the safer part of your flock. Feathers should return as during a molt. A little extra protein will help and make her happy.

Back
Top Bottom