Chick inside egg, collapsed and dried membrane, still alive but weak?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX, Jul 15, 2011.

1. XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX

XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Michigan
    Day 23. Should I help it out? It is upside down, and glued to the membrane. I know this means it is weak, but I still want to give it a chance. Any suggestions how to do this?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

check your other post.. all the info you need is there

3. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It doesn't mean it's weak. It means there wasn't enough humidity during it's hatch time. That's why some of us believe in helping a chick out. Sometimes its the artificial environment that is the problem, not the chick. No chick is expected to be able to push past dried membrane.

4. chikinwing

chikinwing Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2009
    I had a chick just like that from my last hatch. I learned the hard way not to open the incubator until all the chicks hatch. I kept opening it to take out the dry ones and the last one got glued. I did help it and HE (of course it would be a rooster) is now 16 weeks old and doing great. I had to use warm water and peel the shell away making sure not to cause bleeding then I washed it with a warm wet paper towel to loosen the membrane and peeled it away. It is sticky, and sometimes hard to get all of it off. I hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by