Chick instincts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mboreham1, May 5, 2011.

1. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    Went to the feed store today for layer pellets, came home with chicks..... 1 Deleware, 1 EE and 1 GLW.

Warm day here in northern Cal, 92 degrees in the back yard. Introduced new chicks to the rabbits. Instantly tried to nestle under them! The feed store put them in a box for me to bring home, it was a live cricket box, opened it up when i got home, found 3 baby chicks having the game of their very short lives chasing a couple rogue left over crickets, needless to say, chicks 3-0 crickets! Holy smokes, they are only little things but down in one went the crickets!

This leads me to a question - chicks cant be more than 3 or 4 days old, they just got to the feed store this morning, they wont have had the benefit of scratching for grit yet - how much trouble am I now in that they ate something that seems to me would be quite hard for their little systems to digest? I guess they would eat them in the wild but in the wild they would have grit already.

What do people think?

2. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    I would just offer them grit right away to try and help them. Being that they are so small, they probably need it.

Cute story! Mine love bugs too. lol

3. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    i just put a bowl of sand in with them, hopefully it will all work out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by