1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick insults 3 year old with poo...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shakecc, Jun 27, 2008.

1. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    We just recieved out chicks yesterday. I must mention that we are NEW chick owners, but have horses, dogs and goats so not new to animal poo. Anyway I am committed to handling our chicks so that we have nice sweet chickens. My 3 year old begged to hold a chick and I allowed her with ALOT of careful help from me. Inevitably the chick pooped on her. She was SOOOOO upset. She was crying crocodile tears and sobbing that the chick "was bad and pooped on her and didn't like her". I cried because I was laughing so hard. I wish I had had it on video...would have been stiff competition on America's funniest video!

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    LOL....very cute!!!! You learn really fast that chickens are VERY impolite with their poo!!!!

3. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    My 14 yr. old reported at dinner one night: "Edina pooped on me & it ruined my day". This nonsense MUST STOP!
    [​IMG]

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Yep, chickens have abysmal toilet habits.

5. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

They need the FECU. Or is it AFECU?

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:AFECU

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Yep, chickens have abysmal toilet habits.

Elderoo thats why the NEED chicken diapers

8. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

yeah,
    So when they poo on me that means that they don't like me?
    can it be posable to teach chickens to poo in a spot(Like teaching a cat to go in a litter box)?

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:It doesn't mean they dont like you, at all. Where did you get that idea? It only means they have defecated.
    I'm going to risk opening a can of worms here, but here it comes:

Chickens arent people. They dont like, or dislike, you. They will accept you and will even get animated at your presence, but it isnt a like or dislike thing with them.

When they poo, they are pooing. Thats all. Whether its on the petunias or in your hand, its all the same to them. They "let go" whenever the need arises. Instead of putting them in AFECU's (chicken diapers) or adopting other elaborate strategies for keeping their droppings off of you, perhaps the obvious should be mentioned:

Keep them off of you and out of your hands, for the most part. Keep them out of your home and off your belonging's, furniture, etc. Pick them up only when neccesary and then hold them properly.

TO your other question, I don't believe it is possible to box train a chicken, or any other bird for that matter. I suppose somebody has tried and will now say you can do it, but I wouldn't put money on it. Thats the reason AFECU's came baout in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2008
  10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Be glad it wasn't a gosling that pooped on her. You may have broken a rib laughing so hard.

They poop like small dogs ... just sayin' ... LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by