Chick integration

No.
It's things for them to hide behind, perch on and scratch through. Wood chairs/stools, old pallets leaning against the walls, stumps, branches attached to the walls for perching on, organic material for run litter to scratch through.
View attachment 3261773

I watched most of that video you linked. I wouldn't follow a bit of his advice just because of the way the run looked, the number of birds he is cramming into the coop, the chicken wire enclosure and watching one of the pullets escape it so easily.
Ohhh ok. Cool beans. I have a broken wood dining/kitchen chair I was going to discard. Hope to get a stump sooner than later. They look so cool in runs.

Interesting thing is they can see each other from day 1 if arriving here. Brood 1 and 2 are in my sewibg room with brooders next to esch other. So they have been seeing each other all along).

That probably counts as see-don't-touch

I would put both groups in the new coop at the same time.
No territoriality issues that way.
Still use multiple feeder and water stations and some 'clutter'.

I have had excellent results by following @aart's advice on many aspects of chicken-keeping. :)

Gonna change their water and out an old dish Pan for them to dust bathe in.

Plan on adding a mirror and xylophone (one day) and pallet (today).

The pallet on blocks is the #1 most used feature of my run.

0531220933_HDR.jpg

Poor things. They are standing in a corner of their coop by the front; have not touched the whole back end where the roosts are.
Might want to go in after dark and put them all on the roosts.
You'll need a bit a light to see but not so much they can see to jump down.

Might want to go in after dark and put them all on the roosts.
You'll need a bit a light to see but not so much they can see to jump down.
He says they flew back down and went back over to the other chickens. 25 of them so I suppose while doing some this happened. More of them than him. He says it was indeed dark out there. It is 10:44 p.m.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom